There are definite addictive feel to the boxes, maybe it's a surprise in mail, or excitement for potential bargain deals. It didn't help that Holiday season is coming, and I love sending gifts to my friends and family. Still, were there more productive things I could have done with my time, money, and effort? Absolutely. Could I have done worse? Yes. Has it been fun? Heck, YES!
I have subscribed to 22 boxes in 4 weeks. I like simple living, and this many boxes would clutter my life. So I have canceled about half of them, and in next 4 weeks, I plan to reduce more (while discovering new boxes, because there are new boxes popping up EVERYWHERE and I love trying new things). There are boxes I might re-sign up too.
Boxes that were not for me, but very quick to respond and has excellent customer service:
- Julep Maven (sent box in 2 days, courteous customer service rep)
- Blue Bottle Coffee (sent bag in 3 days, great for coffee lovers)
- Healthy Surprise (food box for vegan - sent box in a week)
Boxes I loved:
- Ipsy (I just love the fact it comes in a bag... I LOVE bags.... it's an addiction, and that's another blog)
- Globe In (Review to come)
- PopSugar September 2014
- Out of the Box Sampler (I like items like from Etsy store. Love hand-made goods)
- Love with Food (delivery took forever, but worth the wait!)
Boxes I am most unlikely to re-sign up....
- Conscious Box October 2014
- Birchbox Man October 2014
Speaking of value...
There is "retail" price, and there is "my" price.
I focused on what it's worth to me, and not how much the manufacturer is willing to sell them for. At the end of the day, suggested retail price doesn't enhance my life if the products do not work for me. Sometimes my personal value is much higher than the actual price, or it may be lower. Costs of creating good products with carefully selected ingredients may be higher than factory manufactured monster foods or cosmetics. Yet I believe good products should have price points that's sustainable for consumers as well. So please, think for yourself - what is it worth to you?