I used to be addicted to subscription boxes, at its heights subscribing to over twenty boxes. All my savings were going straight to subscription boxes for awhile. Eventually my short attention span worked for me, and I stopped all subscription boxes by the end of 2015. At around March 2016, I got sucked into Bulubox sale, and signed up for multiple months subscription at a pretty good discount (something like $5/box). Then in April, I got off the waiting list on Sephora Play box, and both ipsy and Birchbox offered special gifts with renewing subscription. So I thought I would share what I got. I purchased all the boxes with my own fund, I am not affiliated with any of these boxes.
Each boxes are $10/mo including shipping.
Each boxes send about 5 (or more) sample items.
So here it goes, a battle of boxes!
So I am already excited about ipsy bag!
Here are 5 items from ipsy:
- it Cosmetics No-Tug Waterproof Gel Eyeliner - made in Korea, cruelty free. Color- black. I like automatic eye liners, smaller size is great for traveling. This is really soft and yes, no-tug. Waterproof part is untested, when I swatched it came off pretty easily. So maybe not so waterproof?? I like it and will use it.
- eva.nyc Hungry Hair Oil Treatment - I have a very long hair which is getting really dry at the end, so this is a welcome addition! I have hair oils but not travel size. I have used it a few times, and it smalls good, not too sticky. I like this and will use it.
- Glamour Dolls 10 brush - This brush is blue with whales print! So cute and love it! Soft hair too --- only thing is I typically only use flat brush. I will give this a try though.
- Organic Pharmacy Antioxidant lip balm - This smells nice and citrus-y. It made my lips shiny. I like this one too.
- Hikari Shimmer Bronzer in "Radiate." This is a nice palette, except it's way too shimmery for me. If you want to shimmer, here it is!
- Cargo blush and bronzer duo (catalina and medium duo 004). I love Cargo packaging. Colors are subtle and nice, bronzer has a little shimmer but not too much. I like subtle shades like this, but if you want significant pigmentation these may be underwhelming for you.
- Cotz natural tinted face moisturizer SPF 40. I have used this before and liked it. Will use it. Not as exciting because I have used it before though.
- Supergoop! sunscreen oil SPF 50 Oohhhh! I have never used sunscreen oil before, and I am curious. Excited about this one and will try it.
- Davines LOVE smoothing shampoo (and bonus conditioner in a foil package). I don't like the scent of this... but it supposed to calm frizz, so I will try on my dry hair.
- Vera Bradley Macaroon Rose fragrance vial.... I am not a fan of fragrance samples, so not excited on this one. It smells kinda like honey and floral together, warm like sun.
Overall, I am excited about sunscreen oil and Cargo blush and bronzer duo. Cotz will be in my travel bag. The other two are not my favorites. This is just an okay box for me.
At this point, I want to mention that ipsy and Birchbox both send various items inside, so what I get may necessarily what you get. Both company offers "personal customization" to tell them about you so that you can potentially receive what you want. Often times it doesn't line up with their marketing, so you may still get some random stuff....
As I mentioned at the beginning, both ipsy and Birchbox offered an eyeshadow palette for re-signing up. Birchbox sent the item as promised, Pixi by Petri "copper peach" it's a cute set, I like the packaging (I wish there was a mirror included though) and the color choices, except I wish there are more matte colors for me... but I am happy with this, and this alone made it worth it for me.
As to ipsy, I was supposed to be receiving em eyeshadow palette with four colors in it, but I didn't receive it. I wrote to ipsy, and the customer care assured me that it will be followed up... but I somehow received em stipple brush. I would typically be excited about a brush, but this one is synthetic hair and I am not a big fan :( I wrote to ipsy again, so we will see what will come out of it.
Anyhow, I am happy about re-signing up bonuses.
This is my first Sephora box. I was told it will come with one perfume sample plus five beauty samples. Let's open it up:
- Atelier Cologn Orange Sanguine eau de perfum sample. It's citrusy, with musky warmth. I love citrus but not a fan of musk. On a fence on this scent. still not a fan of perfume samples...
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche in kimchi. I am excited about receiving Bite Beauty lipstick, but this color is way too bright for me. I won't use it.
- Tarte Tartist lip crayon in Latergram. Stupid name aside, The color is versatile, and it's very long lasting. Issue: It felt dry on my skin, and the color is not all that exciting. I like Tarte, but this is not all that exciting.
- Origins maskimizer + drink up and clear improvement masks. Again, I am very excited about Origins samples, but foil samples are pits of subscription boxes and everyone hates them, including yours truly. "Priming mist" idea sounds interesting, but honestly, I don't need any more steps in my routine. No thanks.
- Korres Wild Rose Sleeping Facial treatment: I like face mask, so I will use it, but I already have so many....
- Briogeo Don't Despair, repair! Deep Conditioning Mask. I have dry hair, so any help with that would be welcome. I am most excited about this.
Overall Sephora was way underwhelming for me... I am only excited about a few items, and the rest I don't know what to do about. I know some of you are on the waiting list as well. If so, brace yourself for saving $10. You didn't miss much this month.
- Marty Pants Women's & Men's Complete Multivitamin. One package has two gummies, one serving is six gummies. So this isn't even one serving, even when you add two sample packages together. Lamest sample ever. I tried women's. Tasted slightly chemically. My BF tried men's. He said it tasted like gummy bears.
- Xylichew "A better for you gum" cinnamon flavor. huh.
- Fru-Licious Freeze Dried Fruit in apple. Bulubox sent me strawberry banana last month or the month before. It is okay, but it goes so quickly.
- Mauer coconut cashew classic protein bar. Never heard this brand, but I am all about proteins nowadays, so I am excited about this one.
- Tranquil time tea: made with organic chamomile, spearmint, lemongrass and valerian root .... I am excited, but one tea bag?
- bonus sumple: flusher husher - disposable toilet sensor. What!? some kids are afraid of public toilet? Thiese disposable toilet sensor covers the automatic flush toilet sensors. I am speachless.
- Libido Max Red for men. I am speachless. Again.
But if you like little surprises, subscription boxes are great. I hope this may be helpful in picking the one you want.